Saturday 28 July 2012

why?????

 i was asked recently why i used so much religious imagery in my work, and why i liked it so much..... and the thing is i do use alot of icon's and religious related items in my work, and i always have.
so my answer to her was... i don't know, i love the look of them, and enjoy using them.

well ever since she asked me i have been really thinking about this answer, as i wasn't happy, and i have never really expoled in my own mind, why i am drawn to these types of items.

i love the colours of niches, and i like cheap tacky looking religious ornament's, i love rosary's so much, Mary statues and Jesus figures and interesting to me, baby Jesus plaster moulds are cute, crosses are so iconic, flowers bring a soft touch and are all full of meaning.

so i have been exploring in my mind the answer, and since moving to gozo 7 years ago, the religious influence has sightly gone over the top (but i love it) , being surrounded by catholic rich and sumptuous churches, and having so many religious items on hand, it was like a dream come true. as in England i never had so many gaudy over the top items, the Christan faith presents saints, Jesus and Mary in a very different way.

so here is a collection o f my work that is religious based

st claire

merciful Mary

worship


flutter

mary in her night garden

7.35 pm

number 13

golden rose



my bed side cabinet, found in a skip, then mosaiced



another cabinet, from a house clearance, then a bit of magic added

homage



luminous



santa rita


got to say a bit shocked how many works of mine have a religious theme, and that's not all of them too!!!!

but to get to the point, i now have the answer, as to why  like to use these types of imagery. i love the feelings they evoke, and that even if they are cheap and tacky looking, badly painted, people still look up to these objects, and worship them. i like to create feelings with in my work and  using collections of objects with such deep meaningful connections really intrigues me,  i find them inspiring, and i like to make small niches full of intrigue.

so all the while there are car boot sales full of cheap religious tut, i will be still making my small ode to religion.

No comments:

Post a Comment